Over a hundred years ago, there were some 50 private clubs on the Crouch End Playing Fields, most of them playing tennis or cricket. Hanley Tennis Club is one of the very few to have survived.
We had a vintage celebration of our history as featured in the
The Shepherds Cot Trust
Hanley Tennis Club is situated in an area originally owned by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who in 1928, passed the land to a locally owned company, the Crouch End Playing Fields Ltd. Planning restrictions led to that company later selling the land, for a notional sum, to a consortium of five of the clubs involved. In 1981 they formed the Shepherds Cot Trust, who own and manage the land. The original five clubs were whittled down to three. The two biggest clubs are Highgate Tennis and Cricket Club (incorporating Brookside LTC) and North London Cricket Club. The other is Hanley LTC: smaller, but arguably more beautifully formed.